In this digital workshop we explore a vitreous enamel technique with rich history, grisaille, in its 20th century incarnation developed by Andreu Vilasís.
Grisalla òpal utilises beautiful, semi-translucent opalescent enamels, to build volume in a delicate low relief on the traditional dark blue background. The results are magical.
This video class includes:
- Downloadable two hour HD video class (4.8 GB)
- Downloadable 13 page PDF Handout
- Downloadable PDF with templates and list of materials
- Access to private classroom on Facebook
The HD video covers the following:
- Introduction to the technique, history, tools and materials (23 minutes)
- Project 1: Celtic knot (14 minutes)
- Project 2: Möbius strip, firing procedure (34 minutes)
- Project 3: Acanthus leaf (49 minutes)
Scroll to the end of this page for a complete table of contents and running time.
This is not a beginner class, intermediate level in enamelling is necessary, and some drawing or painting experience strongly recommended. The preparation of the bases is only lightly touched upon, in order to dedicate as much time as possible to the wet-packing technique.
Please be aware that the enamels used in this technique are traditional leaded enamels. You also need access to an enamelling kiln. You can buy a vitreous enamel kit for this class in my store.
If you want to participate in the private Facebook classroom, please send me an email to email@example.com, from the address you purchased your copy, indicating your screen name so I can add you.
You can buy my classes with a 20% discount if you join the Intermediate or Producer tier in my Patreon. This is a good deal, you get to view all of my Patreon content and get the class for less. Once you're logged in to Patreon, visit this page to purchase.